Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rejection DOES NOT Equal Dejection

So, hoity-toity Ethos has declined my article. The editor actually wrote me a rather nice letter explaining she did not think my piece was a good fit for the journal--bear in mind, that this was the second submission of that piece to Ethos after edits specifically requested by Ethos had been made. Nonetheless, she offered me additional suggestions, but felt that my topic did not adequately address the individual, which is what Ethos claims to focus on. I disagree--my piece is absolutely about the individual--but I am not disheartened. (Okay, well, maybe a little disappointed.)

I sent it out to another journal last night. I didn't make her suggested edits, since they were made for Ethos while making it clear that they weren't for Ethos.) If this other journal has suggestions--and they probably will (hey, I'm a realist)--then I'll go back and take another look. But it was so difficult to let the piece go that now that it's out in the wide world, I want it to stand on it's own before I start to "tweak" it again.

And, besides, I have other writing to do.

--Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment